Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Adventures In Disco


i was contacted recently by andrew morrison (aka Adventures In Disco) who gave me a link to his mixes. he wanted me to listen to "we live in slow motion" but i ended up listening to the lot. my favourite is "into the night". i get sent things from time to time but will only tell you about them if i like them myself. i was impressed enough to ask him a few questions before posting a link. dance music can be quite faceless so i like to know a bit about the people who are actually getting out there and making a difference. he didn't send a picture so i imagine he's either very ugly or very handsome (and modest about it). i started by asking him why his mixes are so short, how old he is and (in true "smash hits" style) what his favourite colour is.

"my mixes are a bit on the short side but I figured people would be more likely to listen if they were 30-40 minutes rather than an hour or more. I'm going to start doing longer mixes now that I'm getting a bit more of a following. I'm 29 and I've been DJing for about eight years, mixing various genres, mainly for my own amusement. Then about two years ago I heard the Aeroplane remix of Grace Jones and that got me hooked on all things disco. Since then I've started taking my DJing a bit more seriously and at the end of 2009 I came up with Adventures In Disco and started putting together mixes and posting them on Soundcloud.

I've only had a couple of gigs so far but I'm hopefully going to be doing a lot more over the next few months. I've not done any edits yet as I've been concentrating on getting mixes out but it's definitely something that I want to get involved with. I've already got a couple of tracks ear-marked, just need to find the time to do it! Previously I was mixing with vinyl but I've started using a Tonium Pacemaker now, which seems to annoys some of the purists but it's just so much easier having all my music at the touch of a button. My favourite colour is blue and my favourite tune at the moment is Mark E - You (Full Vocal Mix)."

check out andrew's mixes here. he's also on myspace. for a full tracklist click on the mix title at either site.

No comments: